I was ordering band saw blades from a catalog and I noticed a kit for a nice scratch awl. I already had a very nice one, but I’m always misplacing it and having another one would be nice. Besides, this gave me an excuse to use some wood I’ve been saving.
The wood is walnut that is from a piece of firewood. As I was splitting the wood I found some deeply figured pieces that would be great for a small project. I have more of it that is more figured than this.
I think this turned out pretty nice, the figure is beautiful. The finish is oil with a high temperature wax.
The pictures were taken with my new iPhone 4. The camera is really nice. This took me a morning to complete. Click on any of the images for a gallery of higher-res versions.