- Originally published October 12, 2018.
The Final Chapter
I encased the button cap screw with walnut as the final locking screw. It is threaded into the wood and glued with CA glue. The hole on other end was plugged with walnut and shaped on a lathe. I tried to figure out a way to make this without a power tool but ran out of ideas and patience to look for more. I wanted to get on with other projects.
The small knob/handle on the depth rod was made from the same piece of walnut. I wanted to echo the design of the locking screw’s knob.
Even a tiny piece of wood can have interesting grain.
Here is the completed mortise depth gauge. I finished it with Boiled Linseed Oil. The next few photos are more glamour shots.
One more shot of the smooth sole with the almost invisible screws.
The sole was sanded to 1,500 grit and then buffed on the strop with the green compound.
Here are the two mortise depth gauges. The one on the left was the first one I made. I learned a lot and made a good bunch of learning mistakes. The right one is a bit more precise with fewer corrections and repairs. It also has a more unified design for the knobs.
Now that I have two of them that are functionally identical I will have to figure out how to share one of them.
Here is a prime use for a mortise depth gauge. They are useful for determining the depth in the middle of a mortise, not just at an edge. This is important while making handplanes for example.
That’s it for this build. I hope it was informative.
Thanks for following along.